Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Great player!
Hi,

I just found Sayonara via an honourable mention on http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/08/sayon...r-linux-qt and since I\'m always on the lookout for a player that just works for me on Linux (mostly been using Quod Libet but it keeps annoying me and being very buggy; nothing has beaten iTunes on Windows yet) I gave it a go and I like it very much so far!
Of course it can\'t be perfect right from the start but hey, it\'s open source, and I believe that with direct contact to the developer a lot can be fixed. So I\'d rather use something that generally goes in the right direction even if it has some initial issues than use something really polished that just doesn\'t do what I want (like, I dunno, Songbird). :-)
So I have a bunch of things I noticed and there\'ll probably be more things as I continue using it. I hope it\'s fine to just dump my feedback here:
  • Would love to have support for libre.fm. It\'s probably quite easily possible to generalise the support you already have for last.fm by just making the host name adjustable.
  • Don\'t capitalise titles. I have my tracks capitalised how I like them (with MusicBrainz). Maybe it doesn\'t actually capitalise the titles itself but gets the data from somewhere else but whatever it does it should stop it. :-)
  • Fonts are quite small on my screen (2560x1440), other programs seem to adjust their font size. Also bold (or are they?) makes them harder to read. In particular the artist and album name in the top left currently playing area are tiny.
  • Window doesn\'t fully maximise and menu bar doesn\'t merge with title bar when maximised as other programs do on Ubuntu Unity.
  • Make columns re-arrangeable. Not too bothered by that though.
  • Colours look optimised for the dark theme. Especially the icons. Might need to revise that for the grey theme? However reading the changelog the grey theme was actually first?
  • Can\'t figure out what \"dynamic playlist\" does. Maybe more descriptive tooltip or provide help about that somewhere?
  • I love how mouse-wheel-scrolling over one of the lists activates that list and performs the scroll in there rather than what was active before! Unlike Quod Libet it also gets activated for quick finding then which is nice. However when I type in multiple lists shouldn\'t the quick search text field vanish for the other lists?
  • Speaking of that quick find. I can\'t figure out how to go to the next search result if the found one isn\'t what I wanted. I tried tab, enter, arrow keys, F3.
  • When I add a whole bunch of things to the playlist at once one of the newly added tracks randomly gets highlighted as the currently playing one even though it\'s not.
  • I love having a separate playlist. Quod Libet normally plays within the list of tracks so whenever I change my search or browse around it looses that context. Yay for playlists that actually work!
  • I think it doesn\'t need the striped backgrounds in the lists everywhere. It might actually increase readability to get rid of them because they clutter the interface a bit. Also the grey stripes are leaking out over the \"active\" border.
  • Use \"...\" for entries in the menu that open dialogs.

Cheers,
Simon
First of all welcome to the forum and thank you for trying out and telling bugs.
Those are a lot of requests and since I am developing alone, these changes will take their time.

Would love to have support for libre.fm
It\'s already planned for the future

Don\'t capitalise titles -> Next version
There\'s another feature request like this also

Fonts are quite small on my screen (2560x1440) -> Next version
Already in progress

Window doesn\'t fully maximise and menu bar doesn\'t merge with title bar when maximised as other programs do on Ubuntu Unity.
Alreday fixed on SVN

Make columns re-arrangeable. Not too bothered by that though. -> Maybe next version
Noticed

Colours look optimised for the dark theme
Actually there is no grey theme, it\'s the native theme, or better: What Qt makes with your native theme. If someone has a dark native theme on KDE, this grey theme will also be dark. Maybe I will create an additional light theme

Can\'t figure out what \"dynamic playlist\" does.
It appends similar tracks out of your library to the playlist. Only works with internet connection and a library that has a sufficient number of titles in it

However when I type in multiple lists shouldn\'t the quick search text field vanish for the other lists? Question of taste. I do not see a big issue there

I can\'t figure out how to go to the next search result if the found one isn\'t what I wanted
This issue is already solved in the branch on SVN. But the branch is considered very unstable. Watch on Google Code when branch is merged into trunk

When I add a whole bunch of things to the playlist at once one of the newly added tracks randomly gets highlighted as the currently playing one even though it\'s not.
I will have a look

I love having a separate playlist.
f I understand you correctly that will imply the use for another graphical element. I am sorry but this is not a feature I want in the player

I think it doesn\'t need the striped backgrounds in the lists everywhere.
I know the border issue and will solve this. Maybe the stripes will be an option in future

Use \"...\" for entries in the menu that open dialogs.
I\'ll have a look

Lucio
Wow, it\'s great that a lot of these things have already been taken care of. :-)

Btw, when I said \"I love having a separate playlist.\" I meant that as a comment about how I like the playlist you already have. Just because Quod Libet doesn\'t have that or at least not in a way that actually works for me. So it was a compliment rather than a request. :-)

And about the stripes: I wouldn\'t add too many options to try and please everyone. If you feel it works better with the stripes, keep them. I can live with that! Same for the theme, really.

Just another thing I noticed: In Ubuntu Unity it added itself to the sidebar automatically when I installed it. I hadn\'t had any other program do that but it\'s fine. It\'s just, it\'s using an icon that seems to come from some Ubuntu icon library (a box with some books, rulers and stuff in it) rather than the Sayonara icon. Is that intended?

Thanks,
Simon
I, too, found this player trhough OMG Ubuntu. I love that it\'s fast, it works, handles tagging and file handling, and you can turn off notifications (hate those!).

So far my complaints are just a matter of becoming familiar with the software. I posted one problem (my fault) and I can\'t figure out how to see the genre field on the list. I\'ll learn.

I\'ve tried iTunes (5 thumbs down for sheer bloat), Songbird (5 thumbs down for abandoning Linux), Nightingale (2 thumbs down ... a bit slow). So far, Sayonara is gets 4 thumbs up (waiting for the full thing).

I agree with Simon on fonts (we\'re getting older here) and columns.

And I disagree with the Board Rules: the developer is Superman!

[rquote=122&tid=51&author=Shepard]Hi,

I just found Sayonara via an honourable mention on http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/08/sayon...r-linux-qt and since I\'m always on the lookout for a player that just works for me on Linux

Cheers,
Simon[/rquote]
At the moment you cannot see the Genres in the normal listview, because there is only little space, and genres may be very detailed and a long string.
You can see the Genre with Right Click->Info or you can search by genre by selecting \"Genre\" in the Search dropdown
[rquote=126&tid=51&author=Shepard]
Just another thing I noticed: In Ubuntu Unity it added itself to the sidebar automatically when I installed it. I hadn\'t had any other program do that but it\'s fine. It\'s just, it\'s using an icon that seems to come from some Ubuntu icon library (a box with some books, rulers and stuff in it) rather than the Sayonara icon. Is that intended?
[/rquote]

I had that issue too, I don\'t think it\'s something with sayonara because it happened with some other apps. Just do this:
- Right click the icon on the bar and select the option to \"unlock from the bar\" and close sayonara
- Click on the unity icon and open sayonara again, then select to \"lock\" the icon to the bar, then the icon will be refreshed with the proper sayonara icon
Cool

[Edited on 8-10-2013 by agacinco]

[Edited on 10-10-2013 by agacinco]